Monday, March 17, 2008

Seahawk Invite / Lo Tide 10k

Wow, what a crazy 24 hours. So basically, at the last minute, I decided to run in a collegiate track meet this past Saturday. I found out, from Tom Clifford, that you could enter and race even if your not a college student. I saw this as an opportunity to PR in the 5k, since I have never ran one on a track.

Leading up to the race, I was not really nervous, but was definitely a bit tired from a tough week of training following Azalea. The race started at 6:30pm, which also made things a little awkward. But once I got racing I felt great. I took the first mile out in 5:03 just cruising along. My 2 mile split was 10:10. At this point I thought, "holy crap, I'm gonna break 16:00!". As the coaches kept on reading off splits, it became clear that I was going to crush my best time. I ended up finishing 7th with a time of 15:51. Unbelievable. This just gives me so much confidence going into this season. I have not even been able to get in any speed work lately, so to run this fast this early in the season is further affirmation that I am going to dominate this year.

Oh yeah, the next morning me and a group of tri geeks woke up and biked down to Carolina Beach at 8am. We then ran in the St. Patrick's Day Lo Tide Run (10K). I ended up finishing second with a personal best time of 34:23. We then hung around for a beer or two and crushed the 20 mile bike ride home.

All in all, a great weekend of racing and training.

No comments: